Religious Priests - ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHDIOCESE OF BAMENDA, CAMEROON

Search
Go to content

Main menu

Religious Priests

ARCHBISHOP'S HOUSE > Other Priests in Bamenda

a) The  St Joseph's Missionary Society of Mill Hill (now transferred to Maidenhead in England) is usually considered as the “fathers of evangelization” in the  Archdiocese of Bamenda. They came as early as 1922 and have been working in different capacities. In 1992, they began a Formation House in St John's Mission Station, Foncha Street. There are presently 10 Mill Hill Priests and a Brother working in the formation centre, STAMS Bambui, Fundong Parish, Illung Quasi Parish and Baba I.
b) Cistercian Monks of Strict Observance: In 1964, some Cistercian monks of Mount Saint Bernard Abbey, Leceistershire,  England, came to  set up  the Cistercian Monastery of Our Lady of Bamenda in Mbengwi.  7 years later, on 11 February 1971,  Dom Ambrose Southey, then Abbot of Mt  St Bernard, declared the Mbengwi Monastery to be a Priory, with Dom Adrian Farmer as first Prior. The Abbey was canonically erected on Ascension Thursday 7 May 1974 and on 11 February 1976, it attended the status of an independent Abbey with Dom Adrian as the first Abbot.  On 11 February 1986 Dom Mark Ulogu became the first African Abbot of this monastery, and the first African abbot in the history of Cistercian monasticism in Africa south of the Sahara.

c)
The Claretian Missionary Fathers came into Bamenda in 1986. These were first the Claretians of the Western Province of the United States and Canada. They took up residence in Ss Peter and Paul Parish Bamunka Ndop, and opened St Mary's Parish Balikumbat. Then the Claretians of the Nigerian Province took over and also re-opened St Patrick's Parish Babanki Tungo in 1996. Today these Claretians are in Fuli-Kom and Santa.

d)
Pious Society of St Francis Xavier for the Foreign Missions, otherwise known as the Xaverians came into Bamenda in 1987 and have been working in St Paul's Parish, Benakuma.

e)
The Augustinian Fathers: The Order of the Augustinians Discalced (OAD) is a reform from the Order of St Augustine (OSA). It was born on May 1592. The name of the General Superior is Fr Gabriele Ferlisi. They started operating in the Archdiocese of Bamenda in 2008. The name of their Superior in the Archdiocese of Bamenda is Fr Gregorio Cibwabwa. Their charism is: " Service of the Most High in the spirit of humility" They have only one community in the Archdiocese of Bamenda with three members:       Fr Erwin Hindang Josè, Fr Renato Jess and Fr Gregorio Cibwabwa. Since they are not Cameroonians, they had to get used to the culture of the people and be introduced to the pastoral programme of the Archdiocese before St. Joseph Parish Bafut was handed to them.The Order of the Augustinians Discalced is a religious clerical Institute, exempt, of Pontifical Right. They have started a formation house in Bafut for candidates to religious and priestly life.

f) The Pallotine Fathers:The Pallotine Missionaries, also known as the Society of Catholic Apostolate (SAC) accepted the invitation of the Archbishop and found a community in St. Mathias Parish Widikum, in the Archdiocese of Bamenda.  The first member of the Congregation arrived Widikum on Thursday, 29th August 2013 and two other members arrived Thursday, 26th September 2013, thus making a total of three pioneer members of the Community, namely: Rev. Father Sanama Sidiang Robert, and Rev. Father Emeribe Chibuzo Marcel. The Society of Catholic Apostolate was founded in Rome, Italy by St. Vincent Pallotti (1795-1850) on 4th April 1835, by bringing together Priests, Rev. Brothers, Rev. Sisters and lay people, married and single, for the purpose of living and spreading the Good News. Their particular charism is the promotion of the Lay Apostolate. It is to be recalled that it was the German Pallottine Missionaries who pioneered the evangelization of Cameroon in 1890 from Limburg in Germany. They came as far as Mamfe but had to leave Cameroon in 1914 because of the First World War. Their work was taken over by the Mill Hill Missionaries in 1922. Their presence in the Archdiocese of Bamenda during the Centenary Year of the Evangelization of our Archdiocese is of great significance.
 



g) The Order of Friars Minor Capuchins came to Bamenda 1988, In 1997, their Noviciate was transferred from Sop in the Diocese of Kumbo to Bambui. The Capuchins who include both priests and brothers are involved in teaching in STAMS Bambui and in chaplaincy to the prisons.

h) The Sons of the Immaculate Conception
or the Conceptionists arrived in Bamenda in1989 to open Njimafor-Mbatu Parish. On 8 December 1996 all the Conceptionist Communities in Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Congo Democratique was erected in a Delegation of the Institute  of the Sons of the Immaculate Conception with headquarters in Cameroon.

i) The Calasanzian Fathers, also called The Pious Schools (Sch.P), or Piarists arrived in Bamenda in 1993 and opened St. Michael's Parish Futru-Nkwen. In 1996, they began a Novitiate House in Futru. Since then the Piarists are involved in the education of youth at all levels.

j)  The Holy Ghost Fathers (Spiritans):The Holy Ghost Fathers arrived in the Archdiocese of Bamenda in 2011 and 2012 respectively. After leaving for some time with the Diocesan Priest in Wum and Bayelle, Wum Parish was officially handed over to them on the 13th of August, 2013. Two of them, Frs. Chrysanthus Yuh (Parish Priest) and Armand Janvier Fessi (Superior) have been working in the Archdiocese of Bamenda since they started their missionary work here. Their Charism is to announce the Gospel and establish the reign of Jesus Christ amongst the poorest and most abandoned in the Church of God. They are a Congregation with Pontifical Right.

k) The Priests of The Sacred Heart of Jesus (SCJ), Sacré-Coeur de Jesus (in French) was founded in 1878 by fr. Leo John Dehon in St Quentin, France, a city ravaged by the industrial revolution. In addition to running Parishes, preaching missions and teaching, SCJs reach out to the needy in the society.Their mission is to be prophets of Love and Servants of Reconciliation. It is not what the Priests of the Sacred Heart do that defines who they are but how they live and what they believe in: the love of the Heart of Jesus. Nourished by the Eucharist, they live, pray and work together, seeking to bring reconciliation to a world that hungers for the love found in the Sacred Heart of Jesus.As far as their Ministry is concerned, it is about bringing Christ’s love where it is needed. Fr Dehon’s dream was to bring the love of Christ to the people and places the society neglect, the people and places in greatest need of his healing touch and compassionate care.They arrived in Cameroun in 1912 and established their mission in 1913. It is of great privilege to have them back in the Archdiocese of Bamenda within this period that we are celebrating the Centenary of Evangelization in the Archdiocese. They are found in Balikumbat Parish and have just built their formation house at Nta’sen (Bamenda) where their students live and go to the Major Seminary in Bambui to attend classes. It is exactly on 13th August 2013 that Fr. Jean Baptist was installed as Parish Priest at St. Mary’s Parish Balikumbat after spending a year with a Diocesan Priest in Ndop to acquaint himself with the pastoral programme and life of the Archdiocese. There are three (3) members in their Balikumbat Community: Fr Jean Baptist Nsimi Bekoa (Parish Priest and Superior of the Community) assisted by Deacon Cornelius Chidume and Br Salomon Edinguele (Temporary professed) .
    
              



 
Back to content | Back to main menu