St Francis Xavier, Bali Nyonga - ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHDIOCESE OF BAMENDA, CAMEROON

Search
Go to content

Main menu

St Francis Xavier, Bali Nyonga

DEANERIES AND PARISHES > WIDIKUM DEANERY


The first Catholic Missionaries to Bali Nyonga were some Bali people baptized in Fernando Po, Sasse, Dschang and Nso' between 1913-1914. The first contact with a missionary priest was in 1914 when Bishop Shanahan on his way to Batibo through Bali met  Francis Fongoh a Catholic Christian. In fact it was this contact that led to the celebration of the first Mass in Bali in 1918. Mgr Joseph Plissonneau a French Spiritan visited Bali three times and celebrated Holy Mass in the Bali Palace.  In 1922 when the Mill Hill Missionaries arrived in 1922, Fr Leonard Jacobs acquired a plot at Munung Quarter from Fon Fonyonga II.



S
t  Francis Xavier Parish Bali Nyonga was officially opened on 1 May 1956. Today Bali has 11 Mission Stations, 4 catechists, 1 Nursery and 2 Primary Schools, and 1 college at Wossing.The Parish Priest is Fr Emmanuel Ngu Nde and a seminarian on Pastoral year.  The Tertiary Sisters of St Francis run the St Elizabeth Health Centre in Bali while the Sisters Handmaids of the Infant Child Jesus run Ancilla Catholic Comprehensive High School in Wosing.

 
Back to content | Back to main menu